Most Moen touchless faucets, such as its MotionSense, Nio, Weymouth, and Sinema models, feature ergonomic and streamlined designs. But sometimes, these touchless faucets suffer from issues (i.e., not working properly). When these unwanted things happen, there are a few troubleshooting methods that you can try.
Why Moen Touchless Faucet Not Working
There are known causes for Moen touchless faucets to malfunction. Here are some of them.
- Incorrect installation – Newly installed Moen faucets may not work properly due to faulty mounting.
- Unremoved protective labels – Moen touchless faucets have protective labels placed on them. If not removed, they could prevent the faucets from working.
- Loose cables – If the cables of these faucets are loose, their overall functionality could be affected.
- Faulty/weak batteries – Batteries that aren’t installed properly can haywire the faucets. Poor to no battery charge can cause the same problems.
#1 Moen Faucet Sensor Not Working
Similar to other touchless faucets, Moen faucets aren’t impervious to malfunctions. You will immediately notice that the sensors aren’t working if the faucet doesn’t turn on even if you have placed your hands in proximity. Primary symptoms :
- Sensors doesn’t trigger the faucet to activate
- Sensors keeps on flashing
Moen Motion Sensor Faucet Troubleshooting
There are fixes for failing motion sensors of Moen kitchen faucets. Fortunately, you don’t need to become a plumber or expert to troubleshoot these issues.
Moen Kitchen Faucet Sensor Blinking
When the sensor of a Moen kitchen faucet blinks, it indicates that the fixture is in electronics mode. It pops two seconds after the electronics mode is set. This is normal, and should not cause any worry.
Moen Kitchen Faucet Sensor Flashing
If the sensor of the Moen kitchen faucet is flashing rapidly, this means that the batteries of the faucets are low. Here, you simply have to replace the old batteries with new ones.
How to Turn off Front Sensor on Moen Faucet
Before you can disable the Ready Sensor on the front, you should turn on the water manually via the handle.
In front of the sensors, hold your hands and let them stay there for five seconds.
- You can remove your hands once you see a single flash of blue light on the sensor.
- Do these steps again if you want to activate the sensors again.
How Do You Reset the Sensor on a Moen Faucet
The sensor of a Moen faucet is usually placed on its front. This sensor detects the presence of your hands; once it does, it will automatically spout water. It is a simple yet effective mechanism for touchless technology.
- You can reset the sensors by holding your hands in front of it for ten seconds.
- Once a blue light flashes, you can remove your hands from the range of the sensor.
#2 Moen Touchless Faucet Stopped Working
Evidently, this problem happens once you can’t use the touchless feature of the Moen faucets. Even if you have placed your hands near the sensors, the faucet doesn’t release water. At this point, you need to find and troubleshoot the cause of this problem.
You can spot this problem by doing the following:
- Check the wirings and cables
- See if the sensors are working
- Assess if the batteries still hold charge
Will a Moen Touchless Faucet Work Without Batteries
Yes. Though Moen touchless faucets function through the help of batteries, AC power can also operate these touchless faucets. Just make sure that you connect the AC adapter to a plug that doesn’t rely on an on/off switch.
How Long Do Batteries Last in Kohler Touchless Faucet
According to manufacturers, the default batteries that come with Kohler touchless faucets can last two to five years. It’s recommended that you buy replacement batteries similar to the original battery pack to ensure the same longevity.
How to Change Batteries in Moen MotionSense Faucet
You should change its batteries if you see blue flashes of light on the base of its faucet’s spout. It means that its batteries are almost empty.
- To change the battery, simply open the lid of its battery pack.
- Remove the old batteries and replace them with new ones.
- Seal the lid again.
#3 Moen Faucet Handle Loosen
Oftentimes, Moen faucets handle loosen due to the natural wear-and-tear. Every time you use the handle, the cartridge or faucet stem gets stripped. As a result, the handle loosens in the process.
Loose faucet handles have the following symptoms that you need to see:
- Odd noises in the handle (i.e., squeaking, clanking, and screeching)
- Problems in the consistency and spraying of the faucet
- The handle doesn’t turn or move well
What Size Allen Wrench to Tighten Moen Kitchen Faucet Handle
Fortunately, you can still re-tighten the loosened handles of Moen faucets. To do this, you would need an Allen key or hex wrench with a size of 7/64 inches. Various Moen faucets, such as the Moen Renzo and PosiTemp, use this particular wrench size.
How to Fix Moen Bathroom Faucet Handle
To fix a Moen bathroom faucet handle, you need to do the following steps:
- Moen faucet handles don’t have visible screws. They either have a decorative cap or button that hides the screws. Remove these covers using a flathead screwdriver.
- Next, shut off the water supply through the use of a shut-off valve.
- After the cap has been removed, you will see the handle screw. Use a hex wrench to loosen the screw, which, in turn, would remove the handle.
- You can spot signs of mineral deposits and corrosion underneath the handle. Remove them using commercial cleaners.
- Replace the faulty faucet handle and piece it back to the faucet by following the steps here in reverse.
For Kohler, damaged faucets require full replacements, as well. The good thing here is that you can get a Kohler kitchen faucet handle replacement easily.
#4 Moen MotionSense Low Flow
You will know if there’s low water pressure if the following symptoms exist:
- There’s a drop in pressure when using two faucets simultaneously
- The faucet doesn’t provide enough flow rate
- The pressure gauge of the faucet is below 40 PSI
Why Does My Moen Faucet Has Low Water Pressure
A Moen faucet that doesn’t exert enough water pressure isn’t always faulty. Of course, a faulty kitchen fixture can cause this problem, but that’s rarely the case. Instead, the culprit of low water pressure in faucets are the following:
- Broken or damaged pressure regulator
- Leakages in the pipes
- Clogged pipes
- Shut-off valves are closed
- Corrosion and mineral build-up in the plumbing system
How to Increase Water Flow in Moen Kitchen Faucet
To improve the water pressure of your Moen faucets, we recommend that you do the following things.
- Clean or replace the aerator of the faucet with the use of a channel lock plier.
- Check if the shut-off valve is closed or not.
- Assess if the pipe that is connected to your valve is large enough to support optimal water pressure
- Repair any damages to the plumbing of your home.
Contact your neighbors if they have the same problem. If this is the case, then the problem is caused externally. Maybe your water service provider isn’t supplying enough water.
#5 Moen MotionSense Faucet Turns on by Itself
Some users mentioned that their MotionSense touchless faucets do turn on by themselves. If this is the case, the problem lies with the sensor or wiring of the fixture. There’s a need to check these components to see whether or not they are properly installed or damaged.
How to Turn Off Moen Sensor Faucet
To fix a faulty Moen MotionSense Sensor, resetting it is a must. The good thing about Moen faucets is that they allow users to override the systems.
To do a Moen MotionSense manual override, follow the steps below:
- Move the handle away from the faucet’s sensors.
- Next, hold your hands over both sensors of the faucet for at least five seconds or until such time a blue light blinks once.
- Once the blue light blinks, it means that the front sensor has been deactivated.
- Reset it again by holding your hands over both sensors of the faucet for five seconds. The same blue light on the lower sensor will blink. This means that the sensor has been reset.
#6 Moen Faucet Leaking
Leaking is one of the problems of traditional faucets. But even modern faucets like Moen aren’t an exemption from this problem. Most of the time, this is due to improper installation of the faucets (i.e., if there are loose parts).
Of course, there’s also a good chance that the faucets leaked because of a worn gasket or washer, corroded valve seat, and loose O-ring. Irregularities in water pressure can also cause Moen faucets to leak.
Why Is My Moen Kitchen Faucet Leaking
As mentioned, a Moen kitchen faucet can leak due to the following reasons:
- Damaged valve seat
- Broker washer or gasket
- Loose O-ring
- Fluctuations in your home’s water pressure
It’s a problem if you let these leaks continue. Aside from the fact that you are wasting water, leaks can also increase your water bills. So it’s essential that you fix them.
How to Stop a Moen Faucet From Dripping
You can fix a Moen faucet from leaking by following the steps below. Remember that this repair method also applies to bathtub faucets, shower faucets, and other water fixtures in your home.
- You need to deactivate the water supply by turning the shut-off valves.
- Next, disassemble the handles of the faucets by using a flathead screwdriver.
- Remove the inner valve cartridge or stem.
- Check the parts of the faucets and see if there are damages on the washers, seals, and O-rings.
- If there are damaged components, replace them with new ones.
- After installing the new parts, sanitize the valves and put the faucet back together.
Moen Touchless Faucet Maintenance: How to Clean a Moen Kitchen Faucet
Image Source: Manuals.Plus
Moen faucets are made from varying materials. They are either made from brushed nickel, chrome, and oil-rubberized bronze. Since these faucets are for modern residences and offices, maintaining the aesthetics of these faucets is another reason to clean them regularly.
How to Clean Moen Faucet Aerator
An faucet aerator is to trap fine particles and minerals. Cleaning is essential to prevent disruptions in the water pressure and flow rate.
- Remove the aerator from the faucet by turning it counterclockwise. Use channel lock pliers if the aerator doesn’t turn.
- Check the aerator for debris and deposits. Pry them out using a screwdriver.
- Disassemble the aerator using paper clips or toothpicks so that you can clean more sediments.
- Clean the components by soaking them in vinegar. Rinse them afterward.
- Assemble the aerator again and attach it back to the faucet.
How to Clean a Moen Faucet Head
Maintaining the cleanliness of your faucet head is essential. It keeps your water pressure consistent. Here’s how you can do it.
- Pour two cups of vinegar into a Ziploc storage bag. Make sure that the vinegar is enough to submerge the faucet head.
- Next, put the faucet head inside the bag.
- Attach the Ziploc bag to the faucet using a rubber band. Soak the faucet head there for at least three hours.
- Remove the bag and toss its vinegar content.
- Apply baking soda on a toothbrush and use it to scrub the faucet head.
How to Clean Moen Faucet Filter
- To clean the filter, simply detach it from the faucet.
- Check for deposits and debris. Flush them with water or pick them up using a toothpick or brush.
- You can also clean the filter by soaking it in vinegar and scrubbing it further with baking soda.
How to Clean Screen on Moen Kitchen Faucet
The screen of a Moen kitchen faucet is also known as its filter. Hence, you simply have to follow the procedure we have listed above.
How to Tighten Moen Kitchen Faucet
Numerous parts of a Moen kitchen faucet should be tightened to ensure its performance and prevent leaks.
- You need to tighten the handle on Moen kitchen faucets if they are already wobbly while you are turning or holding them. To do this, just remove the cover of the handle and tighten the screw under it.
- Meanwhile, you also need to learn how to tighten a Moen kitchen faucet base if it becomes too baggy. To do this, cut off the water and check the area under the sink. There, you should see the nut that affixes the faucet’s base. Use a wrench with the correct size to adjust the tightness of the nut.
- Tightening a faucet spout prevents leaks and drips. Start the process by turning off the water supply. Look for the decorative cap of the faucet and remove it. There, you will find the screw that holds the faucet spout in the base. Tighten the screw using an Allen key.
How to Disassemble/ Remove a Moen Faucet
There’s a disassembly process for every Moen faucet. We recommend that you follow its user manual so that you can identify the parts and components of these faucets.
- If you want to remove the faucet from the sink, you need to unscrew its base. You need a correctly sized wrench for this process.
- At the same time, you also have to detach the electronic and wiring components of the faucet if it’s a touchless model.
How to remove a Moen bathroom faucet cartridge? To remove a bathroom faucet’s cartridge, you also have to know how to remove the Moen bathroom faucet handle, as well. To do this, you have to unscrew the handle first. After that, you will be able to see and detach its cartridge.
Moen Touchless Faucets: Common FAQs
Q: How Long Should a Moen Faucet Cartridge Last?
Interestingly, the cartridges used in Moen faucets are durable. They don’t just last for a few years. Some of them could last up to 20 to 30 years, which is significantly longer than the cartridges used by competitors.
Q: Which Is Better Delta or Moen Kitchen Faucets?
Between Delta and Moen faucets, it can be objectively assumed that Delta kitchen faucets are the better ones. Moen doesn’t lag Delta, but the latter offers superb materials and engineering on its faucets.
Q: Where and How to Find Moen Faucet Model Number?
Usually, you can find the model number of Moen faucets on their packaging. Below is the table that lists some of the most popular Moen faucets and their respective model numbers:
|Moen Kitchen Faucet||Model Number|
|Moen Arbor Motionsense Touchless Faucet||7594ESRS|
|Moen Align Touchless Kitchen Faucet||5923EWSRS|
|Moen Brantford Touchless Kitchen Faucet||7185ESRS|
|Moen Sleek Touchless Faucet||7864EWC|
|Moen Adler Touchless Pull Down Faucet||87233SRS|
|Moen Brantford Kitchen Faucet Touchless||7185ESRS|
Q: Are Moen Faucets Guaranteed for Life?
Moen has a limited lifetime warranty. This indicates that as long as the product is installed in your home and you still own that home, the company will provide the necessary services and replacements. By the way, Moen faucets can last up to twenty years when maintained properly.
Q: Where Are Moen Faucets Manufactured?
Moen is a company based in the United States, specifically in North Olmsted, Ohio. Its manufacturing operations are in Pine Grove, Pennsylvania, and New Bern and Sanford, North Carolina. However, some of its products are outsourced from countries like China via OEM/ODM service providers.
You can contact faucet factory if you want fully customized modern faucets that have better quality than Moen faucets.
Q: Who Sells Moen Faucets?
Moen sells its faucets and similar products on its official website. It also has official retailers, as well, such as Amazon and Walmart.
Alternatively, you can also check competing faucet brands such as TCK. The latter is a high-quality brand of modern faucets equipped with the latest technologies and designs.
Q: Where to Buy Moen Faucets
As stated above, you can purchase Moen kitchen touchless faucets on its website and trusted retailers. We recommend that you check its website first, since all of its offerings are listed there.
While there, you should check some of the most sought products of this brand. We have listed them in the table below for your reference.
|Type Of Faucet||Model Name & Number|
|Moen Sensor Faucet||Arbor MotionSense 7594ESRS|
|Moen Touchless Pull Down Faucet||Moen Align MotionSense Faucet 5923EWC|
|Moen Sensor Faucet Commercial||Arbor One-Handle Faucet 7594C|
|Moen Sensor Lavatory Faucet||Adler Pull Down Faucet 87233SRS|
|Moen Touch Sensor Faucet||Brantford MotionSense 7185ESRS|
Also, don’t forget to get the Moen Motion Sensor Faucet manual. This enables you to install and assemble the faucets properly.
Meanwhile, TCK offers high-quality alternatives that are significantly better than the Moen products listed above.
Automatic Faucet Temperature Control
Temperature Sensor Faucet Light
You can get these high-quality faucets at a lower price by Wholesale Sensor Tap.
Moen Touchless Faucet Troubleshooting: In Summary
We hope that you learned from this troubleshooting guide. Refer to the fixes here if your Moen kitchen faucets experience problems. At the same time, you can also try any of these procedures for bathroom water fixtures.
If you have other concerns, contact us at TCK.